Do you have unattractive white spots on your teeth that bother you? In the past, the only treatments for these white spot lesions included injections, drilling, and restorations made of resin or porcelain. Now, however, an easier alternative is available. At Scottsdale Dental Bottega, Dr. Anna Vaysman offers a revolutionary and painless method to remove these lesions without the need for a significant amount of dental invasiveness. Call Scottsdale Dental Bottega to schedule an appointment to remove your white spot lesions today.
White spot lesions q & a
What are white spot lesions?
An imbalance of mineralization and remineralization on the teeth leads to white spot lesions. Uneven colour results from different areas of the enamel having different mineral concentrations. Lesions are places where minerals cannot reach deeper layers of the enamel; light scattering when it strikes the lesions gives them their white appearance.
what causes white spot lesions?
White Spot Lesions (WSLs) can occur due to several reasons:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Orthodontic treatment
What is Fluorosis?
The right amount of fluoride in your toothpaste and supplements will help strengthen your teeth, fight off cavities, and prevent tooth sensitivity. Too much fluoride, however, can cause teeth to appear discolored – a condition known as fluorosis.
When your permanent teeth are being formed, an overabundance of fluoride can lead to fluorosis. The inappropriate use of fluoride-containing dental products such as toothpaste and mouth rinses is a major cause. For example, children who like the taste of their toothpaste so much that they swallow it instead of spitting it out.
Other causes of fluorosis include taking a higher-than-prescribed amount of a fluoride supplement during early childhood or taking a fluoride supplement when fluoridated drinking water or fluoride-fortified juices and soft drinks already provide the right amount.
how can i get rid of white spot lesions?
Getting rid of white spot lesions is a multi-step process:
- To reveal the tubules, micro-abrade the teeth.
- Etch the teeth multiple times to ensure the resin infiltrates the teeth properly.
- Keep the teeth dry and apply the specialized resin which will infiltrate the lesions and soak into the teeth.
- Remove excess resin and harden the portion that remains on the teeth with light.
- To finish the new look, polish the teeth. The teeth should seem substantially more uniform after treatment.
- Typically the treatment takes about an hour to perform.
What are the Advantages of White SPot Lesion Treatment?
White Spot Lesion Treatment offers several benefits:
- Painless treatment that doesn’t involve needles
- As much healthy tooth structure as feasible is preserved.
- Suitable for patients of all ages
- Cost effective
- Long lasting results that can be touched up over time
WSLs typically appear worse if neglected after conventional tooth whitening procedures. However, after white spot lesion treatment, you are able to take full advantage of teeth whitening with professional in-office whitening.
If you have white spot lesions – or any discoloration or stains – contact Scottsdale Dental Bottega today to find out what solution is best for you